Tuesday, January 17, 2012

dinner alone

I was all prepared to make tuna pasta for dinner, till fatty hubby called and said he has to attend a company dinner.

So I just made a simple dish for myself. Stir-fry cabbage with eggs.


I know it doesn't sound nor look inspiring.. and I can bet you that my late Mum was not inspired while cooking this dish at 5.30am when I was young

But it's an all time favorite of mine. And just because I liked it, Mum cooked it almost every day.. and it has nothing to do with 'she loves me' kinda thing. It was simply because it's easy to cook.


And that's really all the things needed to cook this. Actually this dish uses shallots not garlic. But as usual, the hero in me took over and I made do with garlic since I was too lazy to peel the shallots (^^). I did say it was going to be easy, right?


So a bit of oil to saute your garlic/shallot. Then the eggs go in, just scramble them up. Add the cabbage. Season with soy sauce and stir fry till cooked. As I like this dish a little bit wet, I added some water and dished it up before it dried out.

Oh, I did add a bit of shredded carrots for color because I wanted to try out my Benriner japanese mandolin. The original recipe does not call for carrots, and that's because I don't like them and Mum was more than willing to oblige.. less work, of course. It IS 5.30 in the morning!

Not bad..  Mum still did it best.