Thursday, August 8, 2013
Deliciousness ~ kuih akok ^^
I've been a bad girl! Not cooking nor baking for the past few weeks..
Well, I just couldn't resist all the deliciousness at the pasar ramadans! I've been having a whopping good time pasar ramadan hopping, checking and bingeing (of course! ^^) on all the yummies on offer! ^^ A whole month of bliss, aah...! ^^
Of course my happy run had to come to an end.. but there's the long weekend hols to look forward to ^^ Yay!
So to celebrate the first day of the long hols and to make up for lost time, I decided on a marathon cook and bake-out! ^^
Kuih Akok Kelantan (recipe from aziejaya, original from myresipi)
~ makes 12 pcs
200ml coconut milk (I like Kara coconut milk ^^)
120g gula melaka, chopped roughly (I used gula melaka from Terengganu which comes in discs)
30g all purpose flour
3 pandan leaves, tear/cut into smaller pieces
a pinch of salt
1. In a pan, bring water, gula melaka and pandan leaves to a boil, or till gula melaka has dissolved. Remove from stove.
2. Add coconut milk to the gula melaka water.
3. When mixture is cooled, add eggs and flour. Mix well. Sieve mixture into a bowl/pouring jug.
4. Preheat oven at 200C and place WELL-OILED (more is necessary to ensure cakes doesn't stick to bottoms) muffin tin into oven as well.
5. Divide mixture and fill up muffin tins evenly. Bake for 20-25 minutes for a nicely browned kuih ^^.
This is my current favorite malay kuih ~ I just love the browned/burnt crust and moist, pudding-like insides (note the holey, crumpled, ultra-soft texture in the pix above) ~ overtaking my all-time kuih bakar by a whisker ^^
I had to make this kuih because I missed out on it the last weekend at the pasar ramadan in tg lumpur when I was back home in kuantan. To appease my craving, I decided to have a go at this kuih during the hols. And believe me, this tastes as lusciously good as the stall-bought ones! ^^
They say the best akok is sold in Kelantan, so I guess a trip to Kota Bahru is in order. But till I get there, this recipe works just as well! ^^