Thursday, October 16, 2014

I am fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world ^^


I didn't plan on decadence or indulgence.. or world peace.. but it happened.

It all started with leftovers. One lone egg. A tub of sour cream. Plus it's close to that time of the year, and I'm again researching cakes for a special someone's birthday. And I saw this recipe.. using sour cream, no butter (?!)! 

Seriously, I just wanted to make chocolate cake.

Chocolate cake (recipe by amanda rettke, found in delish.com)
40g cocoa powder (I forgot to half the recipe and used 80g instead ^^||)
105g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
150g caster sugar (I used 115g)
pinch of salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup or 120ml sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup coffee
1/2 cup or 100g milk chocolate, finely chopped

1. Sift cocoa powder, cake flour and baking soda in a bowl. Add sugar and salt. Mix till well blended.

2. Mix in egg, sour cream, vanilla and coffee. Mix till well combined and fold in chopped chocolates.

3. Pour into a greased 8" square tin.

4. Bake in a preheated oven of 170C for 30 minutes, or till skewer comes out clean.

I usually never taste the batter, but I did this time. Oh my, it was so very, very chocolatey and not sweet at all.. and that's when I realized I may have forgotten to halve the quantity of cocoa powder! Uh-oh..

So..... I set out to sweeten the cake.. with what else? More leftovers, of course! ^^

Let's see, a banana on the counter, salted caramel and "vintage" peanut butter in the fridge. And that's how DECADENCE HAPPENED.

Salted caramel
use your favorite, or see here and here

Peanut butter buttercream frosting
some peanut butter (100g)
some butter (50g)
some icing sugar (40g)
some cream (add to the consistency you like ^^)

Sometimes I feel really clever when I'm able to make use of leftovers, la-la-la days like this! Big pig once gave me a pack of pretty serviettes (which he "lugged" all the way from the US ^^), that he thinks totally says me.. "I am fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I can save the world"! 


Yes, that's him saying I'm somewhat delusional, haha! ^^ Hey, if I wasn't a little looney, we'd just be having chocolate cake! Instead, we're feasting on a lusciously indulgent chocolate cake laced with salted caramel, peanut butter buttercream frosting and bananas! 

And in case you missed it.. chocolate cake with salted caramel, peanut butter buttercream frosting and bananas could just be the answer to world peace ^^


2 comments:

Mel said...

I absolutely think you are so so so so smart to think of ways of using whatever your leftovers and came out something so so so so delicious looking cake. I was searching all over the supermarket shelves the other day for sour cream but none .

Hmmm.......let me have another look at your cake....love that banana filling inside.....slurrrpppp yum!!

hui said...

Hehe.. thanks for playing along, mel! But a really clever person wouldn't have soooo many leftovers to begin with! Oops.. haha!