Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Hello 2015


My first cake of the year.. a highly recommended treat by both victoria@victoria bakes and mel@melspantrykitchen.

Espresso almond butter cake (recipe from kitchen snippets)
~ makes an 8-inch square cake
227g unsalted butter
3 tbsp sour cream (nada.. so omitted)
180g sugar (perfect sweetness as recommended by victoria)
4 eggs
120g almond meal
240g flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder, sifted
a pinch of salt
2 tbsp coffee powder + 120ml milk (+ 2 tbsp rum, optional)
toasted almond flakes for topping, optional

1. Beat butter, sour cream (if using) and sugar till light and fluffy.

2. Add eggs one at a time, and mix till well combined.

3. Fold in 1/3 sifted flours and almond meal into the batter. Alternate with coffee milk. (F-C-F-C-F)

4. Pour batter into a greased 8-inch baking tin, and top with toasted almond flakes if you like. Bake in a preheated oven of 170C, for 45-50 minutes or till skewer comes out clean.

Nothing like coffee to start the day.. and cake for the new year.. especially a yummy-licious one like this! ^^


4 comments:

Mel said...

Hello Hui, Happy New Year to you!

Wow, the start of the new year and this delicious cake and with the added of almond flakes topping making this cake so much nicer in looking!

(I have been so slacking lately and sometimes wasn't feel like looking at new idea or recipes to bake or cook anymore. But hopefully I can find back my own self again) Maybe your new bakes of cakes can lift me up again ?

hui said...

Ahhh. New year blues. Me too.

Well, I hope you get your baking mojo back soonest, mel.. 'cos I'm looking forward to all your kumquat concoctions! ^^

Mel said...

Well, I did bake something with kumquat the other day.... it is a chiffon kumquat! Taste good but I don't know why or probably it was undercooked, it was a bit wet the texture. But it do taste good! (I used 5 kumquats and added 6 tbsp fresh orange juice and blend till fine).

hui said...

Mmm.. I can imagine the fragrance and taste! Perhaps too much liquid, you think? No prob, all the more reason to make another! ^^