You make kumquat financiers, of course! ^^ or macarons.. yikes ^^||!
Kumquat pistachio financiers (adapted from this post and canelleetvanille)
120g unsalted butter (may try 150g next time, just to see the difference, but 180g is a no-no!)
1/2 cup (60g) flour, sifted
1/2 cup (60g) pistachio meal/almond meal (I used 40g pistachio + 20g almond)
55g icing sugar, sifted (reduced from 75g)
2 tbsp kumquat puree (or 1-2 tbsp honey)
4 egg whites
some kumquat candied halves
some pistachio bits (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400F/200C.
2. Make brown butter ^^. Melt butter over MEDIUM heat. Pay attention as the butter's boiling and crackling ~ and continue cooking until it turns clear and golden, and the milk solids have dropped to the bottom of pan. Once you see brown bits at the bottom of pan, remove from heat.. takes about 8-10 minutes from time butter boils to the brown bits. Leave to cool. Strain through a fine metal sieve or cheesecloth-lined strainer.
3. Combine flour, pistachio/almond meal and sugar till well blended.
4. Mix kumquat puree or honey into egg whites till well blended. NO NEED to beat or whisk till fluffy.
5. Fold egg whites mixture into the dry ingredients. Do not beat.
6. Gently fold melted brown butter into batter till well combined. Do not overbeat. Rest an hour (or overnight) in the fridge. (I didn't ^^!)
7. Pour about 2-3 tbsp batter into greased financier/tart/muffin moulds. Top with kumquat candied halves or puree. Bake for 13-15 minutes.
8. Remove and cool on a wire rack. Best eaten warm and fresh from the oven ^^
These financiers may not be big on looks (my fault ^^, should've used fluted tart tins but too lazy to grease them!), nor as melt-in-the-mouth-soft or as beautifully scented as the kumquat almond teacakes ^^.. they are, I assure you, still very yummy! ^^
They are nicely springy soft and moist, and very enjoyable on its own or over a cup of tea or coffee ^^. And I'm finally rid of 4 egg whites! ^^
p.s. i still have another punnet of kumquats in the fridge, mel.. and am (im-)patiently waiting for you to share another fabulous kumquat recipe ^^!