When my cupcake piggy, chubby pig, made me buy him a strawberry cupcake last december, I told him I could make the same thing for him! ^^
Brave words! Fast forward 3 months later, I now know I can't make the same tasting cupcake! Not without the coloring and flavoring! ^^||
But I'd like to think these cupcakes are by far more superior because it uses only the best natural ingredients! ;p
Strawberry cupcakes (recipe from callmecupcake)
~ makes 10-12 cupcakes
75g unsalted butter, softened (I couldn't resist ^^ used 113g!)
230g sugar (I used only 130g)
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I used just 1/4 tsp)
150g flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder, sifted
85ml fresh milk
120g fresh strawberries, chopped (I pureed them as baby and chubby doesn't like fruits in the batter!)
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Beat butter with sugar till light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add egg and mix till well combined. Mix in vanilla extract (and strawberry puree, if using).
3. Add the sifted flours in three parts, alternating with the milk.. beginning and ending with the flour. Mix well after each addition. Fold in chopped strawberries.
4. Pour batter into 10 or 12-lined cupcake tins and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Strawberry swiss meringue buttercream
5 large egg whites
210g unsalted butter, diced and softened
100g fresh strawberries, chopped (or pureed)
1. Put egg whites and sugar in a heat-proof bowl over a pan/pot of simmering water (without bottom of bowl touching the water). Whisk egg whites and sugar till sugar melts (rub mixture between fingers, if mixture is no longer grainy (smooth) to the touch, it's ready ^^). Remove from heat.
2. Whisk egg whites mixture till white, fluffy and cool for about 10 minutes.
3. Add diced butter slowly into the mixture. If mixture curdles, just continue whisking till it all comes together again. It always does, just be patient ^^.
4. Add chopped strawberries (or puree.. and if buttercream becomes too soft, chill in the fridge till it's stiffer before frosting ^^).
|this is what happens when frosting is too soft ('cos of puree) and needs more chilling before use ^^|||
I've always preferred the egg separation method for my cakes. But how do you beat 1 egg white? Besides, those who have tried this recipe has vouched that this recipe produces a nicely soft, moist and fluffy cake. And it's true ^^. Though I think a cake with egg whites separately whipped would produce an even lighter and fluffier texture.. so next time. ^^
While I like cakes au naturel, no frosting.. these cupcakes really shine with strawberry frosting! ^^ Rest assured the frosting's not flinching-sweet either ~ just nice! ^^
Anyway, as lovely as these strawberry cupcakes are, I think they can still do with a bit of tinkling ^^.. in terms of texture and flavor. I noticed that the cupcakes had a rather weak strawberry-fragrance and flavor, and I'm wondering if it could be the korean strawberries (?).. While the cakes were baking in the oven, I thought they smell more like banana cake than a strawberry cake! I don't remember this problem when I baked with strawberries from the US.
Hence my quest for the perfect strawberry cupcake continues! ^^ So be patient just a little more, chubby!