Saturday, March 31, 2012

Easy-bake dinner for two

How easy can dinners get? How about an all-in-one bake for dinner?


I'm a terrible cook. Period. My mother was an atrocious cook, but my brothers and I were all obese growing up.. explain that (^^)? And I take after her.. in a lot of ways. I think we are not the best of cooks because we are lazy.. the laziest kind possible. Hence, you would have noticed by now, I'm always cutting corners and making all-in-one meals.. all the time!

Here's another easy cheat dinner. Very little preparation required, especially if you are using organic veggies. Not needing to soak veggies helps cut down preparation time, I think. So all you need to do is just to marinade the meat. If you don't have the time, don't bother. But it'll taste better if you do (^^)

You can make up your own marinade. Whatever you have in the fridge or whatever you feel like. No right or wrong here. I used 1 tsp grated ginger, 1/2 tsp minced garlic, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp dark soy sauce, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tsp chilli flakes, 1 tsp sesame oil, a pinch of salt and pepper, to marinade 2 pieces of deboned chicken quarters (thigh part). Marinade for at least 30 minutes.

Use whatever veggies you have or like too. I like sweet yellow onions (quartered), carrots (cut to an inch thick), potatoes (quartered to an inch thick), tomatoes and blanched broccoli. And that's what went into my dinner tonight. Roasted yellow onions really goes well with broccoli (^^)

Now, you just bake the meat (skin side up) and veggies (except brocolli) in a foil-lined and oiled tray for at least 40 minutes or when chicken skin browns, at 200C in the oven. No turning required. So you can sit back and relax.. okay, maybe blanch your broccoli in between (^^). Super-duper easy, right?

Fatty hubby says the chicken tastes great, and dinner looks really nice. Best of all, he says my cooking skills are improving (^^).. Should I tell him how easy today's dinner was?

Easy, healthy and delicious (^^)

No comments: