Monday, July 16, 2012

Easy peasy apple pie

 This really is the simplest, easiest, yummiest apple pie ever!


Seriously, this is possibly my third (can't really remember my second attempt, if any) time making apple pie. My first apple pie was many many years ago, based on donna hay's modern classics 2 recipe.. and my piggies didn't like it at all! The crust was too sweet and they didn't like the almond meal in the filling (I don't think I enjoyed it too). I remember feeling so disappointed then and have not made any since. Of course, having been fed on the BEST apple pie by their mama pig, any apple pie would be hard to measure up. (^^)

And since mama pig makes the best apple pie in the world, there's really no reason for me to apple pie. But I came across technicolor kitchen's post on apple and cinnamon mini pies using donna hay's recipe recently, and I was reminded of my first (may be my one and only?) attempt.. And I thought, why not? (^^)

So it is with great trepidation I made this apple pie..


Easy peasy apple pie 

Pie pastry (recipe from martha stewart and smitten kitchen)
2 1/2 (313g) cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 sticks (227g) butter
1/4 -1/2 cup cold water

I used/made half the recipe for my pie.
1. Combine flour, salt and sugar in a food processor. Add butter and mix till you get a coarse meal.

2. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup ice water. Mix till dough is crumbly but can be formed. Add more water if necessary, 1 tbsp at a time. Do not over mix.  

3. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate till firm, 1 hour or so. I took it out after 30 minutes, no problem ^^.

Apple pie filling
3 large apples, diced (I used 7 small fuji apples)
1/4 cup (55g sugar)
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tbsp butter, softened

1. Mix apples, sugar, cinnamon and butter together. Make sure apples are well coated. 

2. Roll out 2/3 dough and cut to fit prepared tin/s (greased). Press dough to fit tart tin/s. Half the pie pastry recipe was good to fit 5 small tart tins. Leave excess dough hanging out.

3. Top with apple pie filling.

4. Roll out balance dough to cover filling. Pinch the top and bottom excess doughs together and seal the edges.

5. Make a few slits on the tops for steam to escape. Brush with egg wash (egg yolk + milk). I was lazy, I just brushed with milk.. don't! or your crust will look pale!   

6. Bake at 180C for 30-40 minutes, or until golden.

 
Guess what? Big and baby pig say it's thumbs-up GOOD! They polished off 1 pie each! Errmm.. the pies are not exactly small, just smaller ^^||. I couldn't even finish one on my own *gulp!* and had to share with fatty hubby. I'm not sure if there will be any left for mama and papa pig (^^||) at this rate!


Anyways, the crust's delicious, though not quite melt-in-the-mouth enough.. I may have over-baked at 45 minutes as I was waiting for the crust to turn "golden" (^^||) But the simple no-cook filling is PERFECT ~ nicely moist, not too wet. And the house smells so so good! (^^)


So simple.. yet so good.. the way only an apple pie can! (^^) I love this apple pie! (^^)


No comments: