I'm starting early.. clearing the fridge, that is. ^^
I never prepare much for CNY.. but clearing the fridge is a must. Why, to fill up with more goodies, of course, haha! ^^
And that's how some egg whites ended up as coconut crisps ^^
Coconut crisps (recipe from alan ooi "new year cookies")
~ makes about 100 pcs (or more ^^)
100g unsalted butter
120g icing sugar (reduced ~ 100g ^^)
100g egg whites
100g plain flour
20g coconut cream powder
20g dessicated coconut
extra 20g dessicated coconut, for decoration
1. Combine butter and icing sugar together, and beat till light and fluffy.
2. Add egg whites and mix till combined (don't worry if it looks curdled).
3. Fold in flour, coconut cream powder and dessicated coconut into batter.
4. Place mixture into a piping bag and pipe small rounds onto lined baking tray/s. Use the back of a spoon to flatten the rounds by spreading them into thin cookies. Sprinkle generously with dessicated coconut.
5. Bake in a preheated oven of 170C for 10 minutes. Cool and store immediately in airtight container/s.
This is a pretty easy recipe, but it does require a little more effort than the usual cookies.
Lest you think 100 pcs is a lot, it's not! That's because they are so addictive! These delicate crisps are so yums! ^^
And as pretty as the sesame seeds look on the crisps, the original recipe with just dessicated coconut sprinkling tastes best! The sesame seeds kind of overpower the delicate fragrance and flavor of the coconut crisps. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of the original yummy coconut crisps.. ^^||
Well, so much for my "pretty" idea.. just stick to the original recipe, ok. ^^
|Updated: I did have a pix of the original coconut crisps after all ^^|