Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Fabulicious easy raspberry & blueberry muffins@cupcakes ^^


These are no muffins ^^!

They maybe called muffins by the originator of this recipe, but they're really mini cakes or cupcakes! Hence they taste absolutely, perfectly fabulicious, as a fluffy, moist cake should! And better! ^^

I always steer clear from muffins because of previous experiences with store bought ones ~ dry, dry, drier and dense! Maybe it's been sitting on the counter for too long, but most likely because of the low fat content, the use of veg oil and no-butter that puts me off.

This recipe uses butter ^^. The ratio of butter to flour and sugar is just like that of a butter cake.. and it uses the creaming method.. so I know these are no muffins! ^^

Raspberry & blueberry muffins (recipe shared by mel@melspantrykitchen, from jessie-cookingmoments)
~ makes 10 muffins
150g unsalted butter, softened
120g sugar (100g is good enough for me) 
2 eggs
60g cream (I replaced with milk)
zest of 1 lemon (or orange)
140g of cake flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder, sifted
a pinch of salt
40g almond meal
2 tbsp milk
65g raspberries 
65g blueberries (extras won't hurt ^^)

1. Beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.

2. Add in eggs one at a time till well mixed. Add the cream (if using) and lemon zest.

3. Fold in the sifted flour, baking powder, salt and almond meal till well combined.

4. Add milk (+ the 60g milk here, if using) till well mixed, and add in the berries.

5. Bake in preheated oven of 160C for 30 minutes. 


This is the 2nd time I'm making this recipe. The 1st time I just used blueberries and made half the recipe.. and fatty hubby and I finished the 5 muffins in a blink! This time round, I'm not holding back. Since I had some over-ripe raspberries, I added them too. Both bakes were fabuliciously delicious! The texture was perfectly soft and oh-so moist and super-loaded with berries! However, I'm swaying a little to the ones with just blueberries in it ^^

And don't be put off by how pale my muffins look. They should be nicely golden brown, but mine turned out pale both times.They are however, yummylicious every time! Thanks, mel! This is a super-duper good bake! We can't stop eating it! Maybe it will last till breakfast since I made the full recipe ^^

Mini cakes disguised as muffins! We love! ^^ ^^ ^^


2 comments:

Mel said...

Me too, I used to hate muffins because muffins to me is usually dry, dry, dry in texture until my sis baked her version of blueberries muffin and I immediately loves muffins eversince.
Oh, how lucky you have added extra raspberries in it and now you make me craving for a muffin. I never knew muffin can be so addicted too. I love this recipe; I can make this anytime even if I have run out of cream to substitute with milk. Your muffins looks lovely with added extra red colour of raspberries, right? So, by now, all habis makan already? Didnt save for breakfast? :-)

hui said...

Hehe.. there's just about enough for tomorrow's breakfast ^^ even managed to pass 2 muffins to the single guy who lives next door, haha!

Am gonna make this recipe with just blueberries when big and baby pig gets back next week! The raspberries may make the muffins look pretty.. but it can be tart for some esp. kids ^^