Thursday, November 13, 2014

Carrot fruit cake with lime cream cheese frosting


Next to the built-in oven that came with the apartment, my Kenwood electric mixer is the other item that gave me the most joy during my early baking days. ^^

It paved the way for an "upgraded" baking adventure and contributed greatly to my much needed post-Mum therapy in the following years. Well, time flies, and it's been 9 years since big brother and SIL (Chubby pig's papa and mama) bought it for me when they saw me working on a cheesecake mixture for 45 minutes, with a hand held electric mixer/beater. Hey, amateur mah.. 45 minutes is about right, since there's no mention how long one is supposed to beat the cream cheese! Don't laugh. ^^|||||

I first made this carrot fruit cake way back in 2006, and I remember clearly how much big brother enjoyed it and how he said "it's good enough to sell!"! ^^ Yes. That made me very happy. I think it's the first time, and probably one of those rare times ^^|| (haha!) I ever get to hear that! ^^

This cake is for him.

Carrot fruit cake (recipe from Umah Thevi, printed in the Women's Weekly, April 2006
250g butter
250g caster sugar (I reduced a little to 200g)
6 medium-sized eggs
1 tsp vanilla 
250g self-raising flour
150g mixed fruits
3 medium-sized carrots, grated (squeeze the juice out a little if possible)
50g hazelnuts, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 180C. 

2. Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy about 3-4 minutes.

3. Add eggs one at a time and mix well. Stir in the vanilla.

4. Fold in the flour in 2-3 batches. And mix in the mixed fruits and grated carrot till well combined.

5. Pour batter into a greased 8-inch baking tin, and bake for about 40-45 minutes, or till the skewer comes out clean.

Lime cream cheese frosting (use your own favorite recipe)
250g cream cheese, softened
120-160ml whipping cream
60-80g icing sugar, sifted
some grated lime zest

1. Beat softened cream cheese for about 10 minutes till light and fluffy. Fold in icing sugar and lime zest.

2. In another bowl, beat whipping cream till light and fluffy, or stiff peaks form. Be careful not to overbeat.

3. Mix cream cheese with whipped cream gently. Chill in the fridge before frosting.
  
This isn't the usual carrot cake recipe. So don't expect a carrot cake. The carrots are barely there, just a hint here and there, amongst the fruit mix. But I like it just the way it is. ^^ 

Well, I've made it exactly as per the recipe before and it's great! So you should try this too. It really is the perfect cake to share with family and friends, no need for any frosting if you ask me. Of course, you can always give it your own twist.. like I did, but I'm just too lazy to note it down. Just think rum.. lots of rum.. ^^ ^^ ^^

I like how this cake turned out as a birthday cake with the frosting and all.. a little old fashioned, but it's oh-so delish. Just the way I like it. ^^ 


2 comments:

Mel said...

My oh my....45 minutes beating the cream cheese....ngmmm...ngmmm...ngmmm.... well I guess it worth that long of beating right when you were all praise of the delicious cake in the end!

I can see that this carrot cake you made for your bro would be all praise at you all over again. Looks goooood and yummy to say otherwise

hui said...

I was making velvet cheesecake. As it was my 1st or 2nd time attempting cheesecakes, i really thought i had to beat it long and hard. Of course, back then i never knew i should let cream cheese soften before use.. that's why it took forever to beat it to a smooth consistency. Ah, one learns from mistakes ^^.