Friday, February 24, 2012

Cream cheese pound cake

I love cheese! Any way, every way.


Especially cheesecakes. But I've been banned from making cheesecakes by papa pig (> <), and have to settle for something lighter. So I made cream cheese chiffon cake (which flopped big time, so we will not go there) and cream cheese pound cake today. I'm being ambitious, baking 2 cakes at one go, as I have 2 packs of tatura cream cheese to get rid of. However both recipes uses very little cream cheese.. as such I'm still stuck with 1 expired pack (> <||).

Cream cheese pound cake (recipe adapted from the little teochew)

150g unsalted butter
150g cream cheese
200g caster sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
Zest of 1 lemon
200g flour, sifted
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
a pinch of salt
4 tbsp fresh milk (optional, I added milk "hoping" the cake will come out more moist)

1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celcius.

2. Beat butter and cream cheese till smooth. Add sugar and beat till light and fluffy.

3. Add eggs one at a time, till well combined. Mix in lemon zest and vanilla extract.

4. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and sift well. Mix into batter in 3 batches. Add milk and mix till combined.

5. Pour into a 7-inch square tin or your preferred tin. Bake for 45-50 minutes.


I do not know the difference between a butter cake and a pound cake. And after baking this cake, I still can't tell. Ingredients? Texture? It still baffles me! It looks the same, taste almost the same, texture also almost the same, maybe a bit more dense and heavier... otherwise almost everything's the same! I guess a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet (^^)

I'm quite pleased with how the cake turned out, even though I did think that the top was a teeny weeny dry. Maybe because I baked too long at 50 minutes as per original recipe? Anyways, next time I'll bake for 45 minutes and see what happens. I might also add 2 extra tbsp of milk and beat the egg whites with half the sugar till stiff.

I can't taste much of cream cheese just yet.. maybe the taste will develop after letting it sit overnight (if there's any left, that is..). Anyways, fatty hubby really liked this cake and enjoyed a huge portion over a cup of coffee. And my piggies finished almost a quarter of the cake in one sitting. Does that tell you how good the cake is? (^^)


Perfect for tea.. or coffee.. anytime (^^)