Wednesday, February 29, 2012

David Lebovitz's crispy chewy chocolate chip cookies

Everyone in the family loves chocolate chip cookies.


More specifically, famous amos chocolate chip cookies! In fact, all our (piggies and me) cookie bakes have been geared towards getting the same flavor, taste, texture and smell of the great famous amos cookie. We are still no closer to the chase (> <)..

But I must say David Lebovitz's choc chip cookies are absolutely delish! This is a very american version of choc chip cookies - the crispy, chewy kind. And piggies really like it. So do I. I've never had choc chip cookie cravings before.. I'm not that big on cookies. But I actually wanted some yesterday!

David Lebovitz's crispy chewy chocolate chip cookies (adapted from smitten kitchen)

100g caster sugar
120g brown sugar (I used 100g)
115g unsalted butter
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
175g flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
a pinch of salt
200g chocolate chips
100g of nuts or raisins or dried fruit (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celcius.  (I baked mine at 165 degrees)

2. Beat sugars and butter till light and fluffy. Mix in egg and vanilla extract till combined.

3. Fold in flour, baking soda and salt.

4. Mix in chocolate chips, nuts/dried fruits if using.

5. Bake for 18 minutes, or until pale golden brown. (I baked for 22 minutes)


Baby and I tried this recipe last week but I didn't get the chance to post the photos as the camera had to take a trip to Germany. But since I baked another delicious batch today, I just had to share how yummy this recipe is.. without the photos taken earlier.

The cookies are really not big on looks. They are kinda pale due to the short baking time. But the taste is really, really good - crisp on the outside, chewy soft inside. It's a change from the usual all-crisp cookie that I bake. But like all american cookies, they are excruciatingly sweet! I don't recommend halving the sugar, maybe just a little, if you really must. Because if there's anything we learnt from our many "famous amos" cookie experiments, is NOT to reduce the sugar too much and use ONLY white sugar if you want crisp cookies! This recipe is a KEEPER! (^^)

Crispy, chewy soft yummy-licious good!

No comments: